Tuesday, September 4, 2012

A Thoughtful Letter

I have had a wonderful life with my wife of 55 years. We had our up's and down's, but held together through hell and high water.
My many deployments in the Army were the times that I missed my family the most. We had seven children (one passed away at birth, a daughter 48 years ago). The remainder, four boys and two girls have given to us eighteen grandchildren which in turn gave us 20 (now 22) great grandchildren and I am proud of all of them.
As the time nears, we will have to depart one another. I would rather see it happen by old age. But we have to accept what the future holds. There is no sense in ending life sooner then expected.

I will lose my wife Gisela/Lisa soon, due to something that should not have happened, smoking. If you are at this point in reading this letter and are smoking, PLEASE, PLEASE, STOP. I know it is hard for it took me many years to see the light, but have been off those CANCER STICKS for over 42 years.

I have got COPD and have to wear a breathing mask (V-PAC) at night. Why?, due to second hand smoke. I will never tell my wife that she was the cause of it. I told her it started 42 years ago. I don't think that she believes me.

Don't put your loved ones with what I am going through. My gut is tearing me apart daily from the time I awake til the time I fall asleep, knowing that day is near. Soon I will be alone except for family and friends but they could never replace the very Patriotic woman that I have loved and married and will lose.

With the tears running down my cheeks, I again plead to you, STOP, think of your loved ones. Larry.


PS. My brother Roland went through the exact same thing in December 2009.

My wife passed away on May 30, 2012, one day after our 56th wedding anniversary an 6 months after the letter.